Life all around us

Welcome to Urban poems. Real life. Real words. Poetic flow.

20 October, 2010

A Favour of Sleep

Get me a bed
Make it fit for a peasant
To rest head
And weary soul. No 'stead
Is necessary
For this dilapidated sleep
Candidate is steady
On back, or front, or side.
As long as bed
Resides in the dry
And dark, away from stars
And cheery Moon
With her full intent to
Make me 'bey

Lead me now to slumber
I succumb.  Surrender
My thoughts
Remove them with my dusty
Clothes and timeless watch
And dreamlessly
Collapse.
No chance perhaps of
Cover? To blanket out
The stray ramblings 
That still wander aimlessly
Through the fields of thoughts
Like lost sheep.
Counting them never did release
The sleep
Instead it lead to more
Pointless counting 
And thinking
And rambling
And -

Dear God if sleep keeps a man sane
Then mad me not!
For simply sleep is my calling...
Not eternal. Just till dusk
Is dawning and shaking off night,
Carelessly sprinkling his dew
While pulling on morning.
No other mourning is required this night
Thank you Oh Creator.
And with eyes heavy with sleep
I bequest You
Forgive this demanding peasant
Who till now has done nothing
But ask favour.

At las-

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

enjoyed your poem

Brian Miller said...

ah. nice close....i imagine the creator will hear...so sleep...smiles.

moondustwriter said...

What a delight - your poem is stated the way a man wanting sleep away form the elements would converse with the stars and the creator.

thanks for sharing with One Shot

just a reminder that One Shot poetry Competition will be ending on Friday (the 22nd). Would love you to submit something.

Moon smiles

UrbanPoet said...

Thanks for taking the time to read. Really appreciate it...so enjoying the onestoppoetry community. Been a while since I've been stretched and challenged. Hope to learn lots more from the talent on the site.
Stay blessed

Ben Langhinrichs said...

Very interesting the way you make his words almost slurred or confused as he seeks shelter. I like it.

signed...bkm said...

I like the last stanza alot....nice to meet you at One Shot....bkm

Anonymous said...

Having been past the point of exhaustion myself I could relate! I love the picture you painted.

Shashidhar Sharma said...

Simple words and very interesting thoughts conveyed.. I enjoyed reading it...


ॐ नमः शिवाय
Om Namah Shivaya
Twitter: @VerseEveryDay
Blog: http://shadowdancingwithmind.blogspot.com/

Gabriela Abalo said...

ear God if sleep keeps a man sane Then mad me not!For simply sleep is my calling...

Great one shot!!

Asobime said...

Sleep!! A hard won commodity.

I like this, and it reminds me somewhat of Wordsworth.

Beautiful and touching.

Lady Nyo

Claudia said...

oh sleep well my friend..i enjoyed your poem..nice one shot

awitchtrying said...

This is so beautiful! I really like your style. I need to read this a few more times, I love how you put words together! Thank you for sharing!

Short Poems said...

Beautiful and touching poem, enjoyed it very much :)